first funicular of Lugano was built in 1886 to
link the old center of the town to the railway
station on the top of the hill.
It is only 220 meters long. Originally the bottom
station was in the middle of the Piazza Cioccaro.
Since that days the line was shortened and now
the bottom station is at the first floor of the
next building of Piazza Cioccaro.
The top station is the FFS train station. The
funicular is completely integrated into the station,
it emerges as a another platform with a connection
with platform 1.
In 1997 the Azienda municipale ACTL was transformed
into a public company Trasporti pubblici luganesi