1917 the lake of Ritom is used to collect the
waters of the massif of Saint Gothard for the
power station of Piotta. The power station was
owned by the Swiss Federal Railways (SBB CFF FFS)
and the produced electricity supplyed the great
Saint Gothard railway line.
funicular was built to help the construction of
the pressure pipeline and, since 1921, opened
to the public.
Funicolare Piotta - Rittom is the steepest of
the Swiss public funiculars (87,8 %). There is
only one cabin decorated with Red and Blue colors
of the canton of Ticino. Another particularity
of this incline is that the power unit is located
at the lower station, consequently the cable has
to run alongside of the track up to the pulley
of the upper station and then go down between
the rails to pull the cabin.
1st July 2000, the funicular was sold to the Funivie
Del Gottardo SA. di Airolo.
Since June 2003, the funicular is operated by
a new company 'Funicolare Ritom SA'. The car has
been repainted in red with a new logo.