The magazine about funiculars

Saint Hilaire du Touvet
Isère, France

 
Text and photos Michel AZEMA

Home Introduction | History | Construction | Bottom station | Top station | Cabins | The ride | Photos | Datas | The incline 1 | Paragliding

History / Historique

Saint-Hilaire du Touvet is small village (in fact it is composed of three separated villages) located in the Grande Chartreuse Massif on an escarpment at an altitude of 1000 meters, just below the famous pick La Dent de Crolles.
At the beginning of the century Saint-Hilaire was completly isolated, just linked to the valley with a very dangerous mule track.
In 1917, the Association Métallurgique et Minière (A.M.M.), an association against the tuberculosis, decided to build sanitariums on the top of the Petites Roches plateau.
The funicular was built between 1920 and 1923, the opening took place on July 19th 1924.
In 1925 was created the Centre Médico Chirurgical (C.M.C.) which payed 1.500.000 francs for the reservation of one third of the seat in the funicular and to keep the funicular in use for 75 years!
After the WWII the funicular was showing a deficit and became obsolete but it was saved from the destruction in appreciation of its precious assistance during hard winters and the war.
In 1973 the funicular was sold for 1 symbolic franc to the village of Saint-Hilaire du Touvet. Today it is own by the town council into the "Régie Municipale des remontées mécaniques".
 
Saint-Hilaire du Touvet est une commune (en fait c'est le regroupement de trois communes) située dans le massif de la Grande Chartreuse sur un épaulement perché à 1000 mètres d'altitude au pied de la célèbre Dent de Crolles.
Au début du siècle Saint-Hilaire était complètement isolé, seulement relié à la vallée par un sentier muletier très escarpé.
En 1917, l'Association Métallurgique et Minière (A.M.M.), créée pour lutter contre la tuberculose, décide de construire des sanatoriums en haut du plateau des Petites Roches.
Le funiculaire fut construit entre 1920 et 1923, l'inauguration eut lieu le 19 juillet 1924.
En 1925 fut créé le Centre Médico Chirurgical (C.M.C.) qui versa la somme de 1.500.000 francs moyennant la réservation d'un tiers des places du funiculaire et la garantie de garder en service celui-ci pendant 75 ans!
Après la seconde guerre mondiale le funiculaire devint déficitaire tout en tombant en désuétude mais il fut préservé du démantèlement en reconnaissance à tous les services rendus comme ayant été le seul moyen de transport durant les hivers et la guerre.
En 1973 le funiculaire fut vendu, pour 1 franc symbolique, à la commune de Saint-Hilaire du Touvet. Aujourd'hui il appartient toujours à la minicipalité et est géré par la Régie Municipale des remontées mécaniques.

Inauguration day, July 19th 1924.

Le jour de l'inauguration, le 19 juiller 1924.

 

 

(coll. Régie Municipale des remontées mécaniques)


One of the sanitariums of the A.M.M. just after the end of the construction.

Un des sanatoriums de l'A.M.M. à la fin de sa constructruction.

 

 

(coll. Régie Municipale des remontées mécaniques)

Home Introduction | History | Construction | Bottom station | Top station | Cabins | The ride | Photos | Datas | The incline 1 | Paragliding
Copyright © 1996-2005 Funimag
Michel Azéma
, Paris (France)
contact
Warning: All images on this magazine are copyrighted and are intended for personal use only. They may not be reproduced in any form without the explicit permission of the copyright owner.