near Stans, in the south of the Lake of Lucerne
(Vierwaldensee), the Stanserhorn is a 1898m summit.
The funicular was built in 1892 and 1893. The
distance was too long to reach the summit from
Stans with one funicular, so it was decided to
divide the distance in three sections, in fact
three concatenated funiculars and two intermediate
stations for the transfers between the sections!
The first section, from Stans (alt. 450m) to Kälti
(alt.714m), rises gently (17%) throught fields
and pastures. There is a level crossing in the
middle of this section, that is not very usual
in the Funiculars World!
second section goes entirely throught the forest
into a narrow pass with a 52,5% gradient. When
the line emerges from the forest, it arrives at
the Blumatt transfer station (alt. 1221m).
this point, the third section climbs through the
pastures like a big S with an 63% average gradient.
The line goes through a tunnel (length 140m) before
arriving at the top of the mountain into the basement
of the Stanserhorn Hotel (alt. 1851m).
1970, a big storm striked the hotel which was
completly destroyed in the same way the engine
of third section. The use of the funicular was
stopped. An aerial cable way (teleferic) was built
between Kätli and the summit to replace completly
the second and third sections which were left
in this state. In 1975, the Stanserhon Bahn restarted
with only two sections: Stans-Kätli with
the last funicular section and Kätli-Stanserhorn
with the aerial cable way.
the first section is still in use with the original
wooden cars. The rest of the two other funiculars
sections are still visible, quite intact. Rails
and sleepers are still there, the cables and their
rollers have been removed.
second section is completly recovered by the vegetation.
The building of the Blumatt transfer station is
intact. Two original cars are still under the
roof covering the transfer platforms but without
any wooden parts. The engine and the pulleys has
been removed and are now displayed on the top
of the Stanserhorn near the restaurant which has
replaced the hotel.
third section has some small walls (dams) across
the track to prevent avalances. The tunnel is
the funicular lovers we may regret that the aerial
cable way was choosen in the 70's insteed of the
rebuilding of the funicular sections. The teleferic
is most often the predatory of the funicular,
but without its charm and attraction.
June 30, 2012
Opening of the new Stanserhorn aerial cable car.
it is quite a revolutionary aerial cable car: the CabriO® from Garaventa.
The CabriO® is a Funifor aerial cable car composed of double deck cabins. The top deck is an open air deck on which the passengers are able to feel the sheer drop and the fresh air. The open deck communicates to the bottom deck with a little stair. The open deck has a capacity of 30 passengers and 60 passengers for the bottom deck.
The CabriO®, as every Funifor, is suspended onto two carrying cables and pulled by two tractor cables. The cabins are not suspended anymore but they are supported by the cables which are at the middle level between the two decks.
Videos of the Stanserhorn Bahn and the CabriO Bahn (July 9, 2012) (Videos Michel AZEMA)