Neuchâteloise S.A. (electricity company
most part owned by the Neuchâtel Canton)
de France (EDF, the french national company)
operate the power station of Le Châtelot
power station receives the water from the Châtelot
Dam which is located some kilometers upstream
on the Doubs river just after the famous waterfall
"Le Saut du Doubs".
hydroelectric power station of Le Châtelot
is located into the Neuchâtel Canton at
the North-West of La Chaud-de-Fond near the small
hamlet of Les Planchettes.
this area the river Doubs is the border between
France and Switzerland, the Centrale du Châtelot
is on the Swiss bank of the river (right bank).
At this point the Doubs river flows in a very
deep and narrow gorge with very steep slopes.
The only way to reach the river is a footpath.
in 1950, when it was decided to built this power
station, the only way to reach the river and transport
the nessessary materials for the buildind was
to install an incline railway from the plateau
down to the river.
incline was built in 1951 and all the materials
and all the hydraulic turbines were taken down
by the incline railway!