North Yorkshire, England
The Central Tramway Company Scarborough Limited was created and registered in 1880.
The lift was designed for steam operation and first opened to the public in August 1881. Located in the real center of the South Bay to link the city to the shore just beside the Grand Hotel.
Below the track and about 60 feet from the top station the steam operated winch gear was housed. The driver of the lift had no view of the cars and relied on an indicator with other visual aids such as string tied on to the haulage rope, and chalk marks on the winch drums to indicate the arrival of the cars at the top and bottom stations. In 1910 the steam was abandoned and the gear converted to electric drive. In 1932 the cars were replaced and the motor placed under the top station. Control was from a driving position at the top of the station with full view of the cars. For emergency use each car is fitted with a screw on and wedge safety brake which operates on a safety rail down the center of each track and tha rail also carries the rollers for the support of the cables.
All fares are collected at the top station and except as period of very heavy traffic the staff consists of three men, one who drive, one take the fares and the third one controls the bottom station.
The Central Tramway Company Scarborough Limited still operates in
its original corporate form
General vue of the entire line.
The 30p fare is taken at the top station.
|Details of the tracks and the top station|
|Publicity on the cabins|
Note the rail in the center of each track used for the emergency brakes, note also the small rollers on the center of this rail to support the cable.
The entrance of the top station.
At the rear, the Grand Hotel.
The other door is closed. Between the doors, the command center for the driver.
|Type of funicular|
|Type of tracks|
|Type of energy|
Scarborough | South Cliff Lift | Saint-Nicholas Cliff Lift | Central Tramway Cliff Lift | North Cliff Lift | Queen's Parade Cliff Lift | Menu
|Copyright 1998 by Michel Azéma, Paris (France)|