North Yorkshire, England
The Scarborough South Cliff Tramway Company Limited was created in 1873 to link the South Cliff Esplanade with the South Sands where is located the Spa Buildings, containing a theatre, a concert-hall and a restaurant.
The South Cliff Lift finally opened on July 6 1875 and was the first funicular in Great Britain.
The lift was designed by Crossley Brothers of Manchester, the cars were constructed by the Metropolitan Carriage Company of Birmingham.
The lift was first using water as conterweight. It was using sea water. Two gas engines (replaced by steam pumps in 1879) were installed to pump the sea water to the upper station to fill the top car (and also a bathing pool!). The water pipe was between the two paralell tracks.
In 1947, the hydraulic system was replaced by electricity.
In 1997, the lift was modified to be completly automatic.
At the moment the lift is owned by the Scaborough Borough Council.
|The South Bay with the Scarborough Castle on the top of the hill and the Spa Complex Buildings at the bottom of the lift.|
The South Sands.
Note that the passengers get into the cabin directly from the front and get out from the back.
Details of the tracks and the cables.
There are 4 cables to pull the cabins. They are located into a central rail. A fifth cable is used for the security to activated two pairs of jaws which grip the central rail.
The red and white stuffs are the electronic contactors to automatically stop the cabins.
The South Clift Lift
Note the doors at the rear of the cabins
|Type of funicular|
|Type of tracks|
|Type of energy|
|Difference of levels|
Scarborough | South Cliff Lift | Saint-Nicholas Cliff Lift | Central Tramway Cliff Lift | North Cliff Lift | Queen's Parade Cliff Lift | Menu
|Copyright 1998 by Michel Azéma, Paris (France)|