of Czech Republic
Probably most known funicular of Czech republic connect historic city with hill Petrin. History of this funicular started in 1889, when several members of Club Of Czech Tourist were in Paris, and they saw here famous Eiffel Tower. After return, they decided to built in Praha small copy of Eiffel Tower too. And they were successfull! Until 1891 there was built on the top of hill Petrin 62 meters tall tower. It was relatively far from historic centre, so also funicular was built there.
Both tower and funicular were opened on 25th July 1891 (also as a contribution to "Grand General Czech Exhibition"). Funicular was 383 meters long, it was one of the longest world's funicular at this time. Technical equipment was same as on Letnna's funicular, so gauge 1000 mm, powered by water, with Abt rack rail for braking.
This funicular was too into service in 1914 when it was closed. After war, funicular didn't start again, even if they tried to run several times. In 1923 and 1926 there was hope to renew funicular (close to the Petrin hill was big sport celebration called "Sokolsky slet", but this was not succesfull.
Poster for the centenary (1891-1891)
But in 1932 was again Sokolsky slet planned, and new Strahov stadium was build close to Petrin hill (this stadium can hold 210.000 visitors in one time, and it it still world's biggest stadium until today!!!). So muncipal transport company decided to renew funicular again. This was done until 1932. New funicular was electric-powered, was also regauged to 1435 mm, and was longer than old, 511 meters.
New funicular was commercial success again, so it remained in duty without major problems through WW2 until 7th July 1965. This day, after long rain, earth of the hill massively moved down, and funicular track was destroyed completely. Service must be stopped immediately, and it looks like forever.
History was repeated again. In 1981 city council decided to renew track of the funicular, because there should be another sport event on the Strahov stadium(called Spartakiada at this time) in 1985. During this period, track was completely reneved, and new cars were delivered in 1985, each can carry 100 passengers. Techical equipment remained same as until 1965 (it was not destroyed). Funicular was given into service on 7th July 1985, exactly 20 years after closure, and is in service until today. It is integrated into system of public transport, so there is no special fare, tickets are same as in tramways and busses. Lower station (Ujezd) is close to tram station Ujezd, it is served by tramways No, 6,9,12,22. Funicular is in service betwenn 7.00 - 20.00 daily, mostly every 15 minutes. Nice journey!
Presentation | Prague - Letná
| Prague - Petrín | Karlovy
Vary - Slovenská ul. - Imperiál | Karlovy
Vary - výina Diana | Karlovy Vary - Divadelní ulice | Mrázovka -Hotel Mövenpick | Menu
|Copyright 1998 by Michel Azéma, Paris (France)|